Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Day 77

I went to Barcelona this past weekend for a 3 day weekend. We got on a train at 10:40 on Friday night and arrived the next morning about 7. We had to sit in chairs on the ride there and I slept okay but not great. We got to the hostal about 45 minutes later and checked in. We slept for awhile. We told ourselves that we would sleep until noon, but it was actually 2 in the afternoon. We went and saw the Mediterranean Sea in the afternoon after stopping and eating in an Argentina restaraunt. Then for supper went to Hard Rock. I would go there just for the tea! It came unsweet and between two glasses, I used all the sugar on the table. It has been the only place in Spain that I know of to do free refills and I took advantage of that fact. Then on Saturday, we went and saw the Sagrada Familia, which is the big thing to do in Barcelona. Then we went to Starbucks, Subways and more shopping before we went to the Picasso Museum. That night, we went to a ice bar where everything was made of ice, the cups, the table, the sculptures, the chairs. It was -19 C in the room but they gave us big jackets and gloves before we went in there. Then we went back to the hostal and slept some more. We got up early Monday morning and watched the sunset over the Mediterranean and it was absolutely beautiful. We went out on a pier and about froze our butts off but it was so awesome. We then went and saw the Olympic Stadium where the 1992 Olympics were held and it was cool but it seemed a little small compared to what I thought it would be. We took a ton of pictures and then went to the Guell Park, which is another famous thing to do in Barcelona. There was a contemporary artist named GaudI that started to make a little town on the outskirts of Barcelona to get away from the city life, and now the place is a park. We had to walk straight uphill for awhile before we got to the escalators that took us up the rest of the hill. I don't think I have ever seen escalators outside before, but I am so glad that they were there. I bought earrings from a vender then watched him run off when the police came. It is illegal to sell things out in the open without a liscence, so when the police come, everyone disappears in less than a minutes. It is actually kinda cool to watch them leave because they can pack up and run out before you can blink. The most famous thing in the Guell Park is a lizzard made out of what looks like stain-glass. There are also real gingerbread houses that made me think that I was in a fairy tale. Also, there was a creeper that was taking pictures of people, so we kinda left in a hurry. Then we went shopping and then went back to the hostal. Kari's senora always packs us a food bag when we go on trips so we ate that on Monday night. Then we went to the train station and got on the train to Madrid but this time we had beds. They weren't the most comfortable beds ever but I slept the whole night and woke up a little stiff. We got back at 7:30 and had to be back at school at 9:30 so that was fun. We were all dead yesterday but I went to bed early last night so I think I can last the rest of the week. I have the DELE which is my major exam, on Friday, and then I am staying in Madrid and might go visit a museum that I haven't visited and hopefully, I will work on the many papers that I have due in the next few weeks. One of the girls in my class is doing a countdown and we are down to the 30s of days left. Where has all the time gone? I have finally gotten used to being here and it is almost time to leave. I am glad my mom brought me another suitcase when she came and visited me because I don't know how I would have gotten everything home that I have bought. I have souveniors, more clothes, and my books and papers from class. I bought a painting of the Sagrada Familia and I still don't know how I am going to wrap it up to get it home without bending it or tearing it up. I will think of something. I am a little stressed out right now because of the big test but I feel prepared because I have taken a class and all we have done is practice tests, so if I don't know it by now, it's too late to start worrying now. And if I don't pass, I can take in the states in the spring. I just hope that I pass it. Then I will have a different kind of stress and one less class to worry about. Speaking of which I have homework to do. Hasta luego.

No comments:

Post a Comment