Saturday, September 26, 2009

Day 31

I left South Carolina a month ago, and it seems like I have been gone a week. I am having so much fun. I love Madrid, the people, the language, the culture, everything. My friend Beth, who is studying in Granada in southern Spain, came to Madrid yesterday. She got here at about 11:30 pm and we had to walk from the metro stop because the buses were no longer running. We didn't want to go out because I live in the outskirts of the city, and when the metro stops at 1:30, our choices would be to stay in the city until 6 or walk home. So we went to Burger King and got ice cream instead :) Some people went to the amusement park in northern Madrid, but I didn't particulary want to go so I went to two museums instead. I went to the Chapel of San Antonio de la Florida. It was about a 20 minute walk from my house. It had Goya's tomb (famous Spanish painter) and some of his frescos (a specific type of wall/ceiling painting). Something that I thought was funny was that written on Goya's tomb was R I P. I have no idea if it means the same in Spanish as in English, but I thought that was a little funny. Then I went to the museum of Reina Sofia. I saw Guernica, the famous painting by Pablo Picasso. This painting was in New York City until Franco, the Spanish dictator, died. It depicts the bombing that Franco okayed saying that the Germans and Italians could "practice" bombing on a small Spanish town. I also saw many paintings by Salvador Dali, and many other artists. Reina Sofia only houses contemporary art. I don't think I will ever understand how a piece of white paper with one scribble on it, or a tan piece of paper with random circles on it are considered art. I mean, I can draw lines and circles. I guess I don't appreciate the meaning as much as I should (sarcasm). I went by myself because I think that is the best way. I didn't feel rushed by anyone who didn't want to stay any longer, and I didn't get bored waiting on someone else. Then I came back, took a nap, and here I am now, writing on my blog. I have no idea what I am going to do tonight, but I have a list of things I would like to do tomorrow. Hasta luego.

No comments:

Post a Comment