Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Day 48

On Friday, Keri, Rachelle, and I went to a small town called Cuenca. It is known for its hanging houses. The houses literally are hanging off a cliff! Amazing. We had to walk across this 400 year old bridge to get there, but as we were walking up the hill, guess what a beautiful part of the scenery was? A McDonalds. A beautiful landscape, mountains, trees, and a McDonalds sign. What is this world coming to? It was a 2 1/2 hour bus ride both ways and we were in the city for 4 hours. Just in case if you can't do the math, we were on the bus longer than we were in the city. On the way back, we met some people and it turns out we have mutual friends because they went to the same school here that I go to. Small world. They invited us to a barbeque on Saturday night and it was a lot of fun. There were people there from England, Taiwan, France, Italy, and the United States. There were so many languages flying around but it was fun. There was chicken, hamburgers, shrimp, vegetables, salad, pasta, dessert. I had a blast. Then on Sunday I went to church. I attempted to go to Sunday School but I got there just in time for worship. I went out of the wrong exit of the metro, and between yahoo maps and my "wonderful" sense of direction, I went in circles for about an hour. I got there finally and am glad I went. It is an international church in English. I think someone said that there were members from 40 countries. Amazing. I was about to leave, when somebody ran out, grabbed me, and took me to the kitchen to have coffee. She was a sweet lady. That gave me a chance to meet some people. They are all so kind and sincere. Then yesterday we went to the bull fight. I will save the details but let's just say that I will never go to another one again. It was cruel in my opinion. If you want to see one, look on youtube. School today, not much to talk about, but I did learn something interesting about Spain. Instead of Friday the 13th, the unlucky day is Tuesday the 13th, which is today. And in exactly one month, I take the DELE test, which is on a Friday. Lucky me (get the irony?!). I have a new housemate. His name is Steve and he is a 50-something year old English professor. I made a fool of myself yesterday at supper because I thought he was my senora's boyfriend. (I thought he was coming next week.) From some of the questions I asked him, he must think I am a stupid American. Oh well. Speaking of which, Europe loves Obama. And there is going to be a president of Europe, and Tony Blair is running for it, which is Europe's "George Bush." I don't know how that will work out, but I hope the best for Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment