Saturday, July 2, 2011

Tuesday and Wednesday in Incheon

Yesterday, we left to go to an island to spend the night. We went to the Yellow Sea, and it was so much fun! It was sunny and I actually got to wear my sunglasses, something I didn't think I would get to do. Even though it was sunny and there weren't many clouds in the sky, it was still foggy looking, so I couldn't see that far in the distance. I wish I could have because there were a few mountains in the distance and I bet it would have been beautiful to see all of them.
We went to two different beaches on the Yeoungjong Island, I think. The first one had rocky sand and the water was a pretty decent temperature and the second one was soft sand but the water was freezing. I didn't know this, but in the Korean culture, bathing suits can be seen as a little embarrassing for women, so I kept my clothes I was wearing over my bathing suits on at the beach. I taught the Korean students that were with us, EunJi, Wanseo, and JiHuan how to play slaps and thumb war, and they taught me a game where you stand about 1 foot away from your partner and you try to make them fall by pushing on their hands. It was really fun to play.
Then we went to the pool and played volleyball (or attempted). The Korean students didn't know how to swim very well but the pool was at 4 feet the whole way so it was fine. Then we went back to the house (it reminded me of a mountain lodge) and ate supper. We had steak cooked on the grill that we would put on lettuce and eat it with our hands. We also had soup that reminded me of a spicy vegetable soup. I am finally getting used to chopsticks. I feel like they keep feeding us, and feeding us, and then feeding us some more. I am never hungry and they always offer more food to us. The hospitality here is great and I hope a lot of Lander students come here to study abroad.
This morning for breakfast we had pineapple, kiwi, scrambled eggs with mushrooms, bacon (not cruncy), the Korean form of hashbrowns (sliced potatos with onions), yogurt, cream cheese danishes, sausage, and more things that I cannot remember now. We ate so much that we skipped lunch because we were still full then. I am not going to know what to do when I get back to the US. The American girls did wash the dishes after breakfast so I feel like I contributed something. I feel like they do everything for us and I don't want them to think we expect it.
When we were leaving the island, we went over a bridge and it was low tide so we could see the marsh, I guess you would call it. It looked like it was snowing, it was that white, and a river was flowing through it and it looked like a snake because of the path it was flowing was curvy. It made me laugh a little. I also saw a small island that was connected to the larger land by a small land bridge. It was like a "i" looking if that makes sense at all.
This morning we had planned to go the DMZ (De-militarized zone that is between North and South Korea) but it was raining so hard that we decided to go to the movies instead. I saw Transformers 3 in 3D. The ticket was about $12 and we got snacks 1 popcorn and 2 drinks for about $6. The only thing I have paid for since getting of the airplane was starbucks the day we went to the mall. The University of Incheon is paying for everything else and I am getting so spoiled. I feel like I should pay for some of the things we do and the food.
We then took a taxi back to the hotel and ate in the lobby. I had a club sandwich. This is what comes on the club: grilled chicken, uncrunchy bacon, lettuce, tomato, and eggs. I have never eaten eggs with something that wasn't breakfast, so that was another first for me.
I am having so much fun on this trip. I'm not really homesick, which surprises me. I email, facebook, and skype my family and friends, and I'm only going to be gone for about 5 weeks. I guess compared to the 3 1/2 months I was in Spain, this is a short trip.
Random observation: There is a bridge in Incheon that reminds me of a dream catcher. On each side of the bridge, there is a huge circle and the supporting wires cross and it makes a cool design.
At supper tonight, they gave me a Korean name. From now on, you may call me JiYeon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment