Monday, October 5, 2009

Day 40

I really need to start doing things on Sunday. I normally just catch up on sleep and do homework, but how boring is that! I just did school stuff all last week. Nothing exciting. Then on Friday, Megan, Rachelle, Kari, and I met to plan what trips we wanted to take for the remaining weekends. We have Salamanca, Granada, Barcelona, and Sevilla on the list so far. We went out to a little place near Kari's place and ate crepes. I had a pizza one, then we all shared a chocolate one. I have a new favorite dessert. It is a sweet tortilla with chocolate sauce, chocolate ice cream and whip cream. We spread it all together, folded it, and ate it like a pizza, well as best as we could. Then on Saturday, the same 4 girls went to a little town about an hour south of Madrid called Aranjuez. It was a cute little town. We went to the Royal Palace, and a couple of gardens. About every street had a store selling wedding gowns, and we got to see two weddings. We also walked and saw the outside of a bull ring. Then we went out and watched a futbol (American soccer) on tv. Madrid won. Where we went was close to the stadium, so a lot of people came after the game to celebrate. I didn't stay much longer because the cigarette smoke was starting to bother me. Then on Sunday, we went to El Rastro, the largest flea market in Spain. It had literally everything anyone would ever want. I bought a paif of leggings for 3 euros, 6 socks for 3, a black belt for 3, and 2 scarves for 3. It was so cheap! I am going to get almost all of my Christmas presents from there. My dad was jealous. We used to go "yard selling" and to the flea market every Saturday, so when I told hiim Iwas going to one of this size, he told me to take lots of pictures and buy lots of things. We got separated after about 30 minutes, so Matt (American from Boston who goes to school with me) and I went one way. and Megan, Rachelle, and Kari went another way. We never did meet up that morning. I got back just in time for lunch. I am starting to get used to the food. I wonder if I will get back to the states and think everything that I eat there is weird. Who knows. Now time for some observations. Parents take their kids out and let them stay out late. I went to bed at 8 when I was little, and kids here get to stay out until 12 or 1 in the morning. I don't know why. There are also strollers that looks like a carriage on wheels. Very strange. Everyone wears scarves, even though its not cold. And red doesn't mean stop here in Spain. Red means look both ways, and if a car is coming, oh well, they'll stop. I have been made fun of by for actually waiting for the pedestrian light to turn green. I had to go buy comtact solution today, and the stupid bottle cost 15 euros, which is about 25 bucks! I was so mad, but that is something I had to have. There is a store, Corte Ingles (it has the word English in it, figure that) and it is 6 stories tall. It is the equivalent to a very expensive Wal-Mart. Oh, I don't know if I mentioned this yet, but I dropped my phone in the toilet sometime last week. I had to get a new one, because it wouldn't turn on. I am going through money like crazy, but I am trying not to worry about it. I have also started planning my break trip. My mom is coming over here in about 2 1/2 weeks to stay for a week because I don't have school. I think we going to Italy. I could care less where we go, because it's Europe and everything is awesome. I would actually consider moving here one day. I absolutely love everything about it. Well, except for the traffic. There are a few things I miss here. Dr, Pepper, sweet tea, taking baths and using as much hot water as I want, my car, and of course, my family and friends. I can't believe how fast the time is going by. I might actually be sad to leave. I never thought that that would be possible. If I don't come back to live, I will definitely come back for vacation. There is so much I want to do and see that I don't have time for now. I will be one of those people who works to save money to travel, goes broke, then works again just to go somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment